Known for its outdoorsy culture, Austin nevertheless delivers inside as well. Here are The Whistletripper’s 5 favorite places to be stuck indoors.
- Governing in beauty: Take a free guided tour of The Capitol, which leaves roughly every 30 minutes from the rotunda. Crane your neck to look up inside the spectacular cupola and admire the portraits of former state governors spiraling up towards it. Details throughout the building are delightful: spot the Texas star on the hinges of the main doors to the Senate chamber.
- 1960s come alive: Walk along Red River Street through the University of Texas campus to the Lyndon B. Johnson Presidential Library. Its multimedia exhibits cover the full gamut of changes seen in the Kennedy / Johnson era, from the explosion of TV and genre shattering music, to the throes of the Vietnam War, and of course the groundswell of the Civil Rights Movement. A fascinating display of photographs, letters, witty quotations and even a replica of the Oval Office articulates LBJ’s journey from teaching impoverished students of Mexican descent in Cotulla, through serving in the Navy, his 1960 campaign as Kennedy’s running mate and to his achievements in building the Great Society.
- Movies with a meal: Head to Alamo Drafthouse Cinema for wait service meals brought to your comfortable leather seat while you watch the latest mainstream or indie releases. The food, while fast to emerge, is a far cry from typical movie theater fare. Pizza options include brussel sprouts, smoked bacon and goat cheese or spinach and feta, while healthier options such as grilled chicken with quinoa are available. Brunch specials include caramel creme brulee french toast. Wine and cocktails are generously poured.
- Golf with a twist: The Domain’s Topgolf transforms the driving range with music, drinks and comfort food. Microchips in the golf balls track how close your shots come to to target
- Good old fashioned fun: The Goodnight has vintage bowling complete with handwritten score sheets, Skeeball machines, ping pong, shuffleboard, billiards, and karaoke. Piles of board games – Connect Four, Pictionary, Trivial Pursuit – are available for play by the bowling lanes. A seated restaurant area and bar means you can spend the whole damp evening here.
© Ann Berry